Thursday, August 16, 2012

1940s does 1980s

Yes, you read that correctly - I did say 1940s does 1980s.
 I realize this is not *actually* a thing, as that is an impossibility. 

But I still use this phrase hilariously often, because my favorite '40s clothes tend to be those that they ripped off when the '80s rolled around. I mean, think about it - skirt suits for working women, crazy shoulder pads, peplums, bright novelty prints, over the top giant jewelry... it's definitely a thing.

If you doubt me, meet this outfit. 
How '80s is this? Oh wait, it's not. It's all '40s. 
....Ok, maybe not the belt, that might actually be '80s, lol.


See what I mean?

This is one of my favorite "go to" dresses. The peplum is insane! And has pockets!




This is my new favorite hat. My mom & I went antiquing in Snohomish, WA (a magical land), and I walked out with not one, but three insane New York Creation hats... Needless to say, it was a good day for me. 

I almost overlooked this one. It was sitting on a stool, I glanced down and thought "80s", then did a double take, and laughed at myself. No dummy, that is '40s. Good grief. It has a strap, but I can't quite figure out if it works better as a tilt strap (hat worn forward) or a snood strap (hat worn back). Both look great, so I guess it'll depend on my mood (read: hair).

It's woven of ribbon that I can only describe as.... shiny, plastic gift-wrap ribbon. I don't really know how else to articulate it, because I've never seen such a thing! And that thick netting around the brim? Fantastic!


Fitting the '80s theme, there is my Depeche Mode tattoo. Nerd fest, 2012.

Meet my favorite unsigned Miriam Haskell piece! It's about 4" long, and consists of so much glass beading I have to pin it to my bra strap to keep it from sagging/tearing giant holes in my clothes. It's kind of a bully.


This is my one and only lucite purse. While I think they are super pretty, I've never been very drawn to them, because I'm too careless and I would just.... break them. But after meeting this one, I made an exception. I've had it for quite a while, and so far so good. *Knock on wood*


1940s shoes! Nothing too special, but then they are the most comfortable shoes I own, including contemporary ones! Weird, huh?



Welp, that's enough blathering on for one day, I hope ya'll enjoy this outfit as much as I do!

1940s dress: Lucky Vintage
1940s patent oxfords: Kaleidoscope Vision
1930s Miriam Haskell brooch: Rhinestone Rosie
1940s hat: antique store
1950s Llewellyn lucite purse: Le Frock

All photos courtesy of Irene Wang (of Heirloom Attire)

10 comments:

  1. OMG! It's all so fantastical! I love it all!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress is to die for. And the hat is super cool as well. Your fashion is basically my favorite ever.

    -Bronwyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. first i didn't realize that's a dress, and then- oh my, it is a DRESS! and it's perfect. you paired it well with this cute hat, i so envy you for such a great find! and the shoes looks very comfy, that's for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great outfit! Love the peplum jacket, the bag and your red hair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh you are SO freakin adorable. I would kill for that peplum with pockets!!!!
    How are you holding up in this crazy hot weather???
    Trish

    www.jellybonesblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I'm completely melting. After work, my plan is basically popsicles + old movies + both my fans blowing right at me. Livin the dream!

      Delete
  6. Ugh, your collection of vintage shoes makes me green with envy! I have such a hard time finding any aren't incredibly expensive--let alone fit! You are one lucky girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's aaalways a hunt. I just flat out refuse to pay online prices for them. I usually end up finding dirt cheap ones that need help from my good ol' cobbler.... and then I spend more on repairs than on the shoes. lol.

      Delete
  7. It's so fabulous! I found your blog via Janey's last post & have been going through your old posts (not like a weirdo at all) and had to laugh when I saw this... I've definitely made a few 40s does 80s dresses, and I picked up a skirt I've deemed "50s-does-70s" recently that I'm pretty sure is 50s but is made out of a dark magenta & brown plaid wool that just screams 70s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha I do the same thing when I find a new blog. Oh hey... let me just... read this all...nbd. I'm glad you found me!

      Delete