Friday, August 24, 2012

Golden Lights

Whew! Slight delay in posting this - it's been a crazy week.
But in a good way, I promise. (Work, play, work, play.)

I tried so hard to get today off & attend the 1938 Picnic, in my hometown of Vancouver WA.
It would've been great to see everyone dressed to the nines! Oh, and to see my mom, of course. Alas, it wasn't meant to be. (Whine)

Ok, enough of that. Let's fast forward past the war, and bring on some bright & sparkly late 1940s fun.
 
 
 
It's no secret that I'm a sucker for sequins & rayon, so this blouse is an obvious winner.




Adore this '50s Renoir copper belt, even if it's a tough match.


A story:
You know when you find something pre-1950s & it's miraculously never been worn?
It's such a good feeling! So here's what you shouldn't do with that glee - get cocky. 
If you get cocky, you might *refuse* to change out of your deadstock '40s suede babydoll heels, even though you are going to a house show. They will undoubtedly get beer spilled all over them... 4 hours after you bought them.


Two years later, and I'm still shaking my head at myself. Ah well, I suppose getting them spotty was inevitable. After all, it's suede. In Seattle.
 
xoxo

1940s blouse: Red Light
1940s gabardine skirt: Pretty Parlor (keep your eyes peeled for the matching blazer! It's killer!)
1950s copper belt & 1940s box purse: Lucky Vintage
1940s heels: West Seattle Antique Mall
 
All photos courtesy of Irene Wang (of Heirloom Attire)

4 comments:

  1. I...that blouse...ah!...guh! *dies* Yeah, I may have to kill you for that.

    It's a shame you couldn't make it! We had loads of fun! http://atomicredhead.com/2012/08/24/1938-picnic/

    Maybe you can make it for the next gig. Maybe pumpkin picking, maybe shopping in suits. No one is quite sure yet.

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was super bummed, and of course I get to look at all the fun I missed. But...Ahhh shopping in suits! (But which suit?!?!) Pumpkins could be fun too... break out my galoshes... eep!

      Delete
  2. once i spilled caipirinha over my beloved vintage lace-up booties from pierre cardin (don't party the night before new years eve)... got them spotty too.

    lovethis outfit, especially the belt.

    http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete