Monday, May 20, 2013

A Question of Time

This is round two of the Outfit Adventures of Hannah & Sara. 

I swear we didn't intend to match this day, but somehow we did, for we both just wore black & red. 
(I took off the red coat for the pictures, you guys have seen it enough times.) 

I thought this was a good post to talk about something I've been meaning to address for a while. So yeah, obviously I'm a bit of a 30s - 40s gal. But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate other eras. No era is "better" than any other, for it's all a matter of subjectivity. People should wear what makes them happy and what they feel good in. I love wearing the late 30s & 40s, because the clothes make me feel comfortable. It's not a matter of being a snob about liking stuff, because I freaking adore tons of vintage eras. It's just... what I feel best in? I still *squee* over cute mod dresses, flowy 70s maxi dresses & completely absurd sparkly 80s ensembles all the time. I just don't feel as... ME in them. Yes, confidence comes from within, but I'd be lying if I said a well-fitted 40s dress didn't make me feel like a hundred bucks.

I really respect (and envy, if I'm being honest!) girls who rock a bunch of different eras seamlessly in one outfit. Solanah of Vixen Vintage, Mary Van Note, Dakota of Sweetheart of the Rodeo, and Nicole of Fashion Forestry all seem to pull this off effortlessly, and I'm always awed. I think it's a true reflection of having a strong sense of style when your wardrobe doesn't fit in a box of a 15 year fashion span. This is something I'm trying to work on, but seem to revert back to my comfort zone time & time again. For some silly reason, I'm just way more comfortable in a completely man-repellent avant garde 40s hat than I am in a sexy black 50s wiggle dress. What the hell is that even?!

Hannah is another person, like those listed above, that makes me question my relationship with clothes. Girl will be rocking an epitome-of-1939 outfit one day, and the next she'll be wearing all the crazy 80s clothes she wants. I'm envious of that liberation. It's a reminder to keep forcing myself out of my sartorial comfort zone.

So after all that ranting, here's me in my late 30s & 40s business, and here's Hannah rocking the crap out of some 80s. Sigh.




This hat has some boo boos in front, but it's so dang cute, it wasn't a deal breaker.
Of course, New York Creation.



Let's all ignore the safety pin clasp on this necklace. 
The next day, it went to Rhinestone Rosie for repairs:(




The late 30s dress was originally a gown, and I'm terrible and hemmed it. I know I know, but now I actually wear it. It has one of my favorite tags, The Fashion Originator's Guild. The guild was established in 1933, in an attempt to eliminate the "copying" of designs. You basically had to register your design, and they would straight up boycott stores who carried "knock offs". It was supposedly effective, but they ended up in trouble with the FTC over Sherman Antitrust issues, and the Supreme Court ruled it away in 1941. 

Feeling a little guilty over cutting off a foot of fabric.... but something that fits this well does not belong neglected in my closet.


Now... This freaking 80s jacket. I die.









xox

1930s dress: Indian Summer
1940s oxfords: Lucky Dry Goods
1930s bakelite necklace: antique store
1940s hat: Coming Up Roses
1950s lucite purse: Le Frock

16 comments:

  1. Here, here and then some! Excellently (and very wisely) said, I couldn't possibly agree more with you about how one should wear what they love, whether it's one decade head-to-toe or seven in the same ensemble, and that no one decade trumps any of the others.

    You both look spectacular (that black necklace!!!) and are shining examples of amazing vintage fashion inspiration for one and all.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks darling:) It's interesting, working in a vintage store, I have to tell women to wear what makes them happy ALL THE TIME. People seem to get so intimidated by what other people think of what their wearing, they become more swayed by what makes OTHER people happy than what makes THEMSELVES happy. What is this? Do men do this? Whhhyyy?

      Delete
    2. GAH! This they're/their typo is bothering me soooo much, hahaha.

      Delete
  2. You both look great! Don't feel bad about altering the dress. I'm all about doing what you can to make it so you wear vintage! We're not archivists at museums! I absolutely love your NY Creation hat. 40s felt flower hats have a special place in my heart, for sure. Thanks so much for the shout-out. It goes the other way, too. I think it takes a strong sense of self to stick to an era of style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about sticking to one era - I love a lot of eras but I always come back to the 1950s because its what I feel most comfortable in. I have a smaller collection of 1930s - 1940s dresses which I love but on some days nothing beats a 1950s silhouette for me! You always put together awesome 1940s outfits so if that means you don't mix eras together then who cares!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! I am so stuck in an era bubble. Like I always want to look period perfect, but, like you, I look on in awe of other gals who just mix it up! I guess I fear criticism or something... :/

    You two look darling, and guh, Hannah's jacket! WHAT THE HELL!? That is just too awesome.

    Missed you both so much at the brunch yesterday!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you are *too much* in an era bubble, you seem to cover the 40s-early 60s... at least you span more years than I do! But yeah, we are pretty similar in that you are always head to toe in the decade-of-the-day;)

      For me it's never a fear of criticism from others, it's a matter of what "looks right" or "goes together" when I get dressed. And maybe I read enough old magazines that I know what would've been worn together in the first place. But I certainly think I have more of a critical eye towards my own wardrobe than other people's, something that needs to be worked on. Self scrutiny can be good when it comes to bettering yourself as a person, but when it comes to things like clothes (or body image!), I'm trying to knock it off.

      The brunch looked so fun! I wish I could've been there! I'll come down soon (I always say that and keep failing) - but I will dammit!

      xo

      Delete
  5. Man, I have the opposite conundrum-- I can get a bit envious of girls like you who stick to one vintage fashion era. Sometimes I think I should go on some vision quest to discover my soulmate era, ha; I have all these different personalities duking it out in my closet, and I feel like it could be very freeing and simplifying to settle on one strongly defined look. But dressing in all one era is really an art, and not everyone can do it; I looked like hell the few times I tried to do all '40s or all '20s head-to-toe. If you can pull it off (which you do and then some!) go for it!! No matter how you wear vintage in the 21st century, you're still making a bold individualistic choice.

    You look so fab here; that necklace is killer!! I love that you hemmed your gown. This winter I tried to wear a few '40s floor-swishers as casual "maxi dresses" but I just looked like I got lost on my way to the opera :( Maybe it's time to get out the scissors...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, the grass is always greener! I've really enjoyed reading responses on this subject. It's been an inspiring reminder about one of the great things about vintage - everyone has their own take on how they wear it & what they love best, but we are all united by our love for bygone styles & the personal choice to express ourselves with our wardrobes.

      I went through many years of very regretfully hemming everything. I think my past I-cant-believe-I-did-thats scared me off from hemming stuff today. But it's so much better if things actually get worn! I totally know what you mean about trying to wear gowns as casual maxis.... For some reason it never quite works like that! The one exception I've found is lace. Not sure why, but a lace gown can be sunny & ethereally 'daytime' in a way that plain black rayon can't pull off.

      If you do decide to hem, just remember - measure twice, cut once! I usually measure how long I'd want it, then add 3 more inches just in case. You can always cut off more if you need to, and there's nothing worse than the sinking feeling you hacked off too much!

      Delete
  6. Gosh, my envy always goes in the other direction. I wear a range of 40s-60s with a generous handful of modern pieces thrown in, and I always wish I could get a more cohesive look. Older women come up to me and try to place the era of what I'm wearing and it's usually just a hodge-podge of things.
    (Also, what about avante garde 40s is man repellent, pray tell? I always think you look amazing....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I guess I wasn't talking about *this* hat, so much as some of the more.... umm... ridiculous hats I own. I'll have to do a hats-only post soon, show off some of the lovely weird ones.

      Delete
  7. Sara, you look so pretty! And don't feel guilty about hacking off a foot of that dress - women did that all the time during WWII! And you did so with respect for the era, which sets you far apart from those people who hack off rare, gorgeous gowns into minidresses (bleh).

    Sheesh that jacket is amazing!!! And I love Hannah's boots too!

    See you soon, Sara! I'ma drop into LDG some time when I'm less swamped at work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *did* save the material to use for mending, or maybe a blouse if it's enough! I hope to see you soon lady, I want to play catch up & hear about your place and everything that's going on!

      xo

      Delete
  8. You look wonderful! Thanks for writing an awesome post. Sometimes I feel bad that I cannot stand 50's-60's fashion but I have to remind myself NO ONE GIVES A DAMN haha. I'm a total 30's-40's gal, nothing can make my heart beat fast than a 1939 Sear's catalog or an issue of LIFE magazine featuring women factory workers or women in the military.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both your outfits are so great... I'm really leery of the 80s most of the time as I'm not brave enough for most of the colours and styles, but Hannah looks amazing. I definitely have my eye on that jacket, it's seriously too cool.

    I love your hat, especially the back of it, it's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the 70s & 80s love I have is based on those decades ripping so much off from the 30s & 40s (respectively). The first 40s dress I ever bought was from a Value Village in high school. I really thought it was an 80s dress! I mean, peplum... shoulder pads.... and then I realized when I got home... And here we are now haha.

      Delete