Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Clearly Beloved

Hello lovelies! Vintage nerdfest time!

I know I've broached this subject before, but I'm such a ridiculous sucker for 40s dresses that the 80s directly ripped off. I'm sure it stems from how much 80s I used to wear, and how 80s style holds a super soft spot in my heart. And perhaps because I accidentally bought my first 40s dress at a thrift shop, thinking it was an 80s dress. (Yeah......) Welp, same goes for the 30s/70s parallel. Like this dress. It's late 30s - early 40s rayon jersey.... but it really just looks like a Brady Bunch dress. 

Yes, please.

Plus you know, crazy vivid novelty print, nbd.



Lil bakelite cameo action <3




Hair is not one of my strongpoints, which is fine. But I've been working more updos and such lately, and I was pretty pleased with how this one turned out. Not perfect, but a good jumping off point!





Ok so enough about me, we get enough of that around these parts... meet Jaynie! Not only is she the best person on the planet, my best friend & partner in crime, a talented seamstress, and the photographer for this here blog... but she's also really stinkin adorable. So she let me turn the camera around, and catch a few shots of her for once.


This is one of my favorite dresses of hers - 50s style with paper crane novelty print. 


And check out this WWII sweetheart necklace of hers. Instead of the usual clear heart, it's iridescent. I don't know about you guys, but I've never seen that before.



See? Told you she was the cutest.

Hope y'all are doing extra fabulous!

xox

1930s-40s dress: Red Light
1940s oxfords: Lucky Dry Goods
1930s Victorian Revival bakelite brooch: antique store ($15! Hell yeah.)
Jaynie's WWII necklace: Rhinestone Rosie

11 comments:

  1. Ohh that dress is super awesome! And your updo is lovely, hair takes so much practice, ugh. That necklace is simply divine! What an amazing deal on the bakelite brooch, sooo jealous!

    xo,
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. That print is so punchy and fun!! From afar, I so would've pegged it as '80s. And your hair is actually amazing, it reminds me of early '40s Bette Davis.

    The other day I came across a '40s dress with the prettiest silhouette for just $10, but the floral print reminded me SO much of blah '90s dresses that it turned me off. It's amazing how certain '30s/'40s prints can look completely '80s/'90s today (for better... or for worse ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bette Davis?! Well now I'm happy for life, good lord hahaha. It's so true about the 90s dress thing - it's the floral especially! Plus, alot of the late 80s/early 90s used rayon, which makes it even more tricksy.

      Delete
  3. You two look great! I love the a-line details of the black skirt portion of the dress and so colorful. Plus, it's a whole lot cheaper to get a 40's look from the 80's:). Lovely photograph with your friend too:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, this one is a 40s dress:) But heck yeah, way cheaper to do the repro-but-still-vintage route!

      Delete
  4. You are the both cutest - and have such seriously lovely smiles! What a treat to see the wonderful gal behind your beautiful photos.

    I'm a huge fan of 1980s does 40s and 50s dresses (and other garments), too. They're a mainstay staple in my wardrobe all year round.

    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* I adore your brooch - one doesn't encounter elegant square ones like everyday. It's strikingly wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she great? I feel like my blog photos are amazing not just bc she's a great photograoher, but bc her smile is completely infectious!

      Delete
  5. What amazing dresses, both of you! I love that crane print. I agree with you about the 40s-does-80s thing... I thrifted the MOST amazing 50s-does-80s wedding gown this past week, and a few of my 40s sewing patterns definitely seem to be precursors to those 80s sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can envision it now- sheer top to the bodice? I love it already!

      Delete
  6. I love both of your outfits!! And I don't know how you can say that your hair is not one of your strong points because I always think it looks great!

    I love the 80s too (films, music, fashion) and before I started collecting 50s vintage - I was very much into the 80s and had a collection of ridiculous party dresses! A few them did have a 40s or 50s influence, which I have kept in my closet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god me too! Especially music. It's a little preposterous.... i kind of only listen to 80s. While its mot my day to day anymore, I most definitely still own some too-ridiculous-aka-amazing-too-sell 80s party dresses. How can I part? They stick around for some hilarious nights out:)

      Delete