Friday, April 25, 2014

A Little Respect

Hello darlings!
Sharing some of my favorite things today: novelty print (who me?), matching accessories, and a great deal (with a price.)


The accessories aren't a true set, but sure work as such. I've been searching for a burgundy 40s hat since last summer, as I already had the clutch & heels. I'd almost given up, until I went on a day adventure down the Columbia River gorge a month ago, and found this baby in The Dalles, OR.


The dress was a complete steal. There is this godawful "vintage" (I use that term loosely, it's mostly garbage) store in Denver, I despise it sooo much. The owner is such a pretentious jerk, I've actually gotten in fights with him. That's a blue moon occurrence, usually I just quietly take my money elsewhere if someone is rude. He's one of those "instantly bitchy because you ask to see something" sorts. 

You know the type.
"Oh. Weeeell... you know those shoes are 40s, right? And they are $50." 
"Err. I'm standing here in head to toe 40s, so I obviously know they are 40s... and $50 is... not a lot of money...." 

But... hilariously, he also has no idea what he's doing. Typically, the real vintage this place has is stained, ripped & grandiosely overpriced for its horrid condition. However, I keep finding bakelite in his $1 bins, and I get random 40s dresses he thinks are 80s. Yes, you read that right, the price tag for this said "80s dress", and it was $20. This is the 3rd "80s" dress I've bought there. Ha, thanks dude. So I keep going back;)


 
I'm actually a bit uncertain what this print is. 
There is a yellow version on Pinterest, and they call it "Roman." Ok? Sure.
What do you think?


So now we all know what I sound like when I get mad, muahaha. *inappropriate hand motion*
I'm sure lots of you out there have stories where they were treated poorly by sellers, and *hopefully* you were also victorious. (Related note: sellers don't get me wrong! Buyers can be the worst as well, I read etsy inquiries all day at work. Trust me, I know. Ohhh, people. Bless their hearts.)

#dropsmic

xox
Sara

1940s dress: it doesn't really matter.
1940s clutch & hat, 1950s belt: antique stores
1940s heels: Le Frock

All photos courtesy of Jaynie Healy


22 comments:

  1. This is so fun you put up with the "crap" to get "gold". Love it. Rayon novelty prints are outta control price wise on ebay and etsy. But, when I can find a deal I swipe them up. I love the fluid nature and there really is nothing like them nowadays. I've also been snapping up rayon 40s fabric. I've sound some really lovely pieces. I love your dress, just grand and so nice you found a match!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, he sounds like a jerk, at least karma is getting him back and your wardrobe is profiting from that!
    I don't know that I'd say that's a Roman print.. is there a giraffe in there??? Whatever it is, it's a gorgeous print, and dress, and I love the matching accessories - you were so lucky to find them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh dear quite funny. I had that print in a pale blue shirt dress, wore it to absolute death and it fell apart eventually....that one you have is a grand color.....I wish I could find more rayon prints for my shop but they are getting so out of my price range as a seller.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. harder and harder to find:( so many of mine are soooo jacked up, luckily the prints tend to hide to wonkiness muahaha.

      Delete
  4. I get "china shop" or "curios and knick knacks" out of that. Like the Antique Shop Merry Melodies with animals, dancers and the demon who breaks things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... you always know how to make me smile :D

      Delete
  5. Love it! Great attitude and "strategery" on your part!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing dress! What a find. I love how you have styled it all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this color combo! That hat is just too amazing too!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sound so funny even when you are angry, beautiful dress and love your blog heaps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's funny. I got excited to show you when I found that hat. I just knew... I can't believe it goes so well with the shoes and bag! Maybe we're good shopping luck for each other.
    - Jesse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if that were the case, I'd have found you some bakelite! maybe you're just good luck for me;)

      Delete
  10. This us such a lovely dress. I don't know what the print is . But it sure is lovely. I hate arrogant sellers. Especially when they're from big cities. The sometimes have such an attitude towards people from the countryside (like me). Once i got a discussion with a seller who told me that vintage and amtique was worse in my part of the country. Well we pay less. So i don't know what's wrong with that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! Not mention, things are so picked over in big cities, you find way better stuff in small towns (or smaller cities)!

      Delete
  11. Excellent to hear that you're finding absolute gems for a steal while the junk is getting marked up and left hanging on the rail!

    I don't know what the print is either but I know it looks lovely on you. Congrats on your bargainous buys!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely post, lovely look and lovely accessories! You look wonderful! Would you like to join our link "Share in Style"? It's on my today's post and the topic is "accessories". I would love it ... Lot of kisses, darling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i suppose, i know this seller ... or are there more out there like him? super fun story behind this dress! it looks fabulous and i love the 'roman' print. eeeeeh, 'roman' might be wrong ... i spotted a little person on the dress, he doesn't look anything roman ... the little guy reminds me more on goethe ... whatever. this dress is a real treasure!

    good luck on finding more 80s dresses at this shop! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the colour combination of the dress and accessories. Your hat is lovely, what a great find. Very good deal on the dress too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha what a score with that dress! Here, I'm more likely to find 70s dresses labelled as 50s (this happened to me at a fair last weekend, what a joke!) So good job on finding someone that doesn't know what they're doing (but in a way that works out for you!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a great find and the color combo with the burgundy is perfection! It just goes to show that a girl who knows her stuff will always come out on top.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just loved this story of yours, ha haaa!! Like another one of your readers, I'm more likely to find things mislabelled and not in my favour, a lot of '80s as '50s and so forth.

    What an interesting print that it is - am I right that there are lampshades and a spinning wheel on it?! Beautifully put together outfit. P x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Around here, things are more likely to be labeled the other way around... but you scored big time! And the accessories are amazing, even if they aren't perfectly matched. I love the burgundy with blue, such a bold color choice!

    ReplyDelete